Monday, August 27, 2007

Isle of Mull takes an unusual interest in 20th Century French Literature

Over the years, I have written a rather embarrassingly large number of letters to the editors of newspapers. To date, I was most proud of the letter I had published in the Suva Times in Fiji.

But now I have chalked up another letter to a local paper in (for me) an impressively far-flung place: The Oban Times.

Here is what I wrote:

Dear Editor

Firstly may I congratulate Oban, Isle of Mull and Argyllshire on providing an excellent holiday area which my family and I thoroughly enjoyed in August.

Secondly, I suspect I am not the first to point this out, given the Auld Alliance, but I thought I would state that you had an exquisite headline on Page 6 of your August 9th issue. It read:

"Isle of Mull's Camus Activity Centre officially opens at Bunessan"

As a keen fan of the great works of Albert Camus, I was fascinated, if not a little surprised, to see that an activity centre for his works is being set up on the windswept Isle of Mull. Presumably, it will feature re-enactments of La Peste (The Plague), hopefully not involving too many deaths, I thought for a moment.

Imagine my disappointment when I read the story and saw that it was not a Camus Activity Centre that was being opened after all, but a CAMAS activity centre.

Still at least this proves that one of your readers is still awake!

All the best
Yours

Paul Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment