Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Is there an element of Galtieri in Brown's tough action on Russia?

I was watching Gordon Brown on telly last night about the Russian diplomat expulsions. He looks good when he's being tough. He's no good at the touchy feely stuff like Blair. But he can do the 'rock of Fife act' very well in a crisis.

I just wonder if there is perhaps an element of this crisis playing well for Brown underlying the government's actions. As Galtieri found, if you want to look good, create an enemy pronto.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not involved with politics, it can make you awfully cynical! Maybe this is just one of those happy times when you can both look good and do the right thing at the same time.

    Wouldn't be surprised if Brown told Blair not to leave it for him to do so that he could pick up a few, er, brownie points (sorry).

    You seem to be suggesting that he's doing it solely for effect. What's the Libdem position on the expulsions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. edit 'Brown told Blair to leave it to him' - obviously

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Andrew. I am just querying whether this is possibly an unconscious element in the decision-making process, that's all.

    As for the LibDem position, it is one of support for the government as evidenced by this quote in a BBC report:

    "And for the Liberal Democrats, Michael Moore said the government had been forced to act. " - see

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6901847.stm

    and

    http://www.libdems.org.uk/news/story.html?id=12636&navPage=news.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expect you're right re. the unconscious element Paul. I believe I'm right in saying we've had problems over the last 10 years getting suspects extradited from the USA. Perhaps Brown will expel a few Americans as well - I'm sure that send Labour's poll ratings through the roof. (Not that I'm anti-American myself, obviously.)

    ReplyDelete