Sunday, May 13, 2007

The strange things people google about

Keeping an eye on the search terms which land people on my blog can be an odd business.

I have seen at least five visits via searches for "Is 'name of leading Rugby player' gay?"

Now, I am seeing "Is Marija Serifovic gay?"

I am not quite sure that those searchers will find the answer to their question amongst all the politics on this site.

And for the person or persons who has persistently, over several months, googled "What did Paul Walters die of?" the answer from a couple of commenters on Yahoo answers is cancer.

8 comments:

  1. They might have meant Phil Vickery the chef - but he's married to Fern Britton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you use to track the searches people make getting to your blog ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, anon, I hadn't thought about the chef angle!

    Nich, I use sitemeter.com and statcounter.com. The "download stats" to Excel feature on statcounter is particularly useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're stuffed now Paul - my experience is that a post like this, which actually puts the search terms in one sentence rather than across paragraphs or posts, attracts even more searchers. I discovered this when I wrote about a member of the US women's soccer team and a lesbian friend of mine in unconnected parts of the same long post...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that insight Andy - I will look forward to seeing all the searches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont think you can base whether he is straight or gay on how he looks or acts. Talk about stereotyping!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making an assumption about Vickery based solely on his looks is like saying all homosexuals are raving queens who're AIDS thin and have swept blonde hair that would make Nicole Kidman blush.

    Ever heard of a thing called "the bear community"?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stand corrected James. I am sorry for this remark which I have now removed. Yes, I have heard of the "bear community".

    ReplyDelete