Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllmaaaaaaaaa!

I was very pleased with myself yesterday at 7.30am. I announced to my bleary-eyed nine-year-old daughter that Joseph Barbera had died.

Who he? - ed.

Well she didn't say that, but did ask who he was.

...Only the bloke that co-drew Tom and Jerry, Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, The Jetsons, Hucklebury Hound and a shed-load of other cartoon favourites which my daughter watched 24 hour a day from her nappy days onwards on "Cartoon Network" etc etc.

Joseph Barbera was the partner of William Hanna, and as Hanna Barbera they were a pair of cultural giants. They weren't high brow. But goodness me, their cartoons have lasted.

Why the title of this blog: "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllmaaaaaaaaa!"? Well, my daughter and I always used to particularly enjoy the bit at the end of the Flintstones, when Fred got locked out of his house in the process of putting his milk bottles out for the night and banged on the door and screamed "Wiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllmmmmmmmaa!!!" to be let back in.

Quality!

No comments:

Post a Comment