Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Belfast basks in sun and satire

It was wonderful to see Belfast in the sun yesterday. Many people were sun-bathing on the grass in front of the grand City Hall. There were hordes sitting outside pubs enjoying the sun. Having visited the Crown last time, I added McHugh’s to my pub passport. It is in the oldest building in Belfast. I sat with my pint of Pilgrim’s Ale admiring the striking trick fountains in front of the Albert Memorial Clock.

After all the "Troubles" it is good to see the people of Northern Ireland making a go of it. Belfast is a fine city with some superb restaurants and attractions springing up.

In the evening I had a rare televisual treat. I was able to watch a brilliant satirical programme which is only aired on the BBC in Northern Ireland. It’s called "Folks on the Hill". It started on BBC Radio Ulster about four years ago. In its TV form, it features computer animation and the versatile voices of Sean Crummey. As one might imagine it is about the politicians on the "hill" – Stormount. It is extremely funny, very wry and the animation is superb. Tuesday night’s episode started with Ian Paisley sitting at his desk saying:

"No…….No……….No………ah…….No…………No way……………No……….No……………On yer bike sunshine……………..No"

He is approached his son Ian Paisley Junior who asks him:

"What are you doing, Dad?"

to which Dr Paisley replies:

"Just rehearsing my latest speech son"

I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment