Saturday, July 15, 2006

Doing the Sports relief mile at St Barts

We have just done our Sports Relief mile at St Bartholomew's school Luker athletics field, Newbury.

It was great fun. Very well organised. We had to do our warm ups (which were more aggressive than I am used to!) under the direction of Mike Hart, the PE teacher.

It was wonderful to see people there of all ages. There were lots of costumes including some lads going round dressed for golf with their clubs in their bags. Rather them than me.

We were divided into two sections: "Fun runners" and "Elite athletes". I think they should have had a "mildly aspiring athlete" section, which I would have naturally fallen into. As my daughter was in the elite athletes, I had to join her. I regretted it after the first fast (for me) lap, but managed to settle down and save some puff for a fastish finish.

My nine-year old daughter beat me by about half a lap, which she has already reminded me about three times. In my defence, she is a member of an athletics club and has competed at national level.

All in all, a wonderful event. Well done St Barts for organising it.

No comments:

Post a Comment