Sunday, April 8, 2007

Foolish decision to allow ex-hostage sailors to sell their stories

It really is stupid for the Ministry of Defence to allow the fifteen sailors, who were taken hostage in Iran, to sell their stories to the media. Apart from anything else, it will expose them to unwelcome publicity. The MOD should protect their personnel. Anonymity in the forces is a valuable asset. It is wrong to expose serving personnel to the harsh world of the media.

Menzies Campbell also made this excellent point: "There is the understandable feeling of the families who have died in Iraq as to why it should be that those who have survived should - putting it bluntly - profit in this way."

2 comments:

  1. But surely the foundation of the liberal’s commitment to freedom is the recognition that is necessary for personal autonomy and autobiographical life. There is nothing that can be said to be more essentially my own than my personal life story. It is, literally, my life. I don’t think it’s anybody’s business but my own to whom I tell that story, or indeed sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite happy with those sailor selling their story if and when they leave the services.

    ReplyDelete